PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - War Zone on Channel 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 21:34
wokawoka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downtime....

I think we all tend to agree is that Channel 5 focussed too much on the downtime. Or at least that they did not mention the fact that after a 12-14Hr every day with the occasional (and I emphasise occasional) day off guys/girls do need to chill out by having a bit of normality and let their hair down in any way shape or form with no alcohol.
Let's face it, we all need the support trades. How does our aircraft get fixed, how do we get our mail? It's not all about crossing the wire, though the program could have made the public more aware of the fact that Kate's trade supports the people who cross the wire directly. And I do not only mean at 20000' or if at LL at 600 Kts......

However I can understand the frustrations of some people who turn up to the admin cell on a Sun morning (dont tell me dont go on a Sunday as there is no notion of days over there and it may be the only time one has spare time) to find that it is a half day/ or a non working day for the admin. Because for some there is no such thing as a day off. On ops we should accept that these things will be on an opportunity basis not as a given. This unfortunately does create friction.

Finally to come back on the Op Allowance thing, it IS a getting shot at allowance. It was introduced by Labour when the Tories said they would introduced tax free salaries for service men / women in theatres deemed to be highly dangerous (ie Iraq and Stan). Being on the back foot labour introduced this allowance in emergencxy saying it would boost up a PRIVATE's salary to ensure it would correspond to a tax free salary for the period of the det. Neer mind the other ranks..... For discomfort and separation there is LSA. I do not think there should be a downgrading of our support staff who stay behind the wire, however maybe a boost in allowance for the guys who do take it to the enemy would be much appreciated....