PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - deccan air cargo
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 16:52
SayItIsntSo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...but not all the rules all the time!

Sky Dancer,

As a seasoned aviation professional I can tell you that Captain Gopinath knows as much as anyone about running an airline in India, and probably more than you and definitely more than me (when was the last time you bought 60 Airbus in one go or started an airline). Perhaps you would like to see imposed different standards than those that apply in India.

Now if you want to be critical about the ability of DGCA to regulate the aviation industry then I would probably be on your side, but it is not in the nature of an entrepreneur to abide by questionable and arbitrary rules. We know from recent court cases that even British Airways and other ‘legacy’ airlines don’t play by all the rules and have committed violations that have cost them an awful lot of money.

In India there is the added business challenge that not all permits are processed as fast as they should be (not enough grease on the wheel perhaps), this kind of regulation is not conducive to compliance with all rules and regulations some of which have very limited if any effect on safety. It becomes part of the Accountable Manager’s task to decide which rule he is prepared to fight in Court rather than give in to the chinless, faceless wonders doing their best to kill the aviation industry

If you think that this is an issue that is only to be seen in India, think again. I know from personal experience that this is an issue throughout the Third World and I suspect it is also a problem in the old and new world too. After all, if it wasn’t, organisations like the UK CAA wouldn’t need an Enforcement Branch.

Ciao

Last edited by SayItIsntSo; 9th Jan 2009 at 17:04.