PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:29
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
212Man might be a better source...but I do believe there has been one for sure loss of an Adelt on the North Sea....without anyone hearing of until the post flight by an Engineer who discovered the thing missing. It was not heard or ever found as I recall.

At a failure rate then of something like one of zillions...I suggest the Adelt is a very good thing.

Trog's post is spot on!

It was a great leap backward when I saw the American way of flotation devices having been spoiled by Bristow...it was comforting to know you had both a homing beacon and ability to communicate with SAR aircraft in your PFD.

There is only one way the wee orange whistle compares to the SARBE and that is cost....other than that....it is totally useless.

The USCG requires I have one on my inflatable dinghy I use to get to the beach from my sail boat....the whole hundred yards or so....thus I reckon they figure I can summons help from afar. They also require a PFD for each occupant.

Funny thing....I have a boat kit that includes a portable VHF radio, flares, mirror, and human lung operated HORN that can raise the dead along in addition to the inflatable PFD's I carry for each person.

The minimum requirement set by the USCG and FAA are just that.....minimums. Careful consideration usually suggests going beyond that minimum to be adequately prepared.

Last edited by SASless; 9th Jan 2009 at 12:39.