PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI Crash in Louisiana Jan 2009 - 8 Dead, 1 Injured
Old 9th Jan 2009, 12:28
Troglodita

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F.E.D. - Oh Really?

without any input from the pilot
So exactly what causes this piece of "magic" to deploy? Correct me if I'm wrong but does it not require arming and the pushing of a button in the cockpit to cause it to deploy?

Whilst not agreeing at all with Outwest that an ADELT is absolutely useless, I personnaly feel that a 406 MHz beacon that stays with and transmits from the actual (moving with wind & tides) ditched or crashed aircraft is more beneficial.

The statement "manna from heaven" also seems a bit OTT when referring solely to an ADELT.
A Company which fits ADELTS will (unlike most if not all GOM Operators) also usually provides Pilots with PLB's such as the SARBE transmitting on 121.5 and 243 MHz or with personal 406 MHz transmitters so a survivable crash/ditching will usually permit surviving crew members to summon assistance individually.

Unfortunately the Switlik or similar with a strobe and a whistle still seems to be considered perfectly acceptable to far too many Operators.

Trog

Last edited by Troglodita; 9th Jan 2009 at 12:30. Reason: insertion