PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSFF refreeze 737 NG
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2009, 01:11
RYR-738-JOCKEY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never seen NEI/CSFF like this.

Just to expand abit; The NG's got a completely new wing with wingtanks closer to the surface making them prone to NEI/CSFF. We have an SOP saying plan to land with max 5 tons if temp is below 10C at dest. But from experience it's the combination of fuel temp/time in the cruise (cooling the fuel), relative humidity AND below 10C and of course turn around time that might create this ice.
Lets say you cruise for two hours and land with 6 tons, dew point/temp is 6/9...then you'll get a lot of ice even if it's Cavok.

Well, back to the picture...what puzzles me is how the ice seems to run like water towards the fuselage. This has clearly not been created in the air because the speed of the air would have "pulled" it parallel to the movement of aircraft.. I'm just wondering if this is actually deice fluid, frozen onto the wing. Might happen if someone decides to put on a coat to prevent frost next morning. This is done to ensure ontime departures, but in my view is a complete waste of fluid. I dunno the cost of not being ontime, but generally from my experience it has been done too early, requiring a new deice, or simply uneccesary...and I know the price of the fluid normally creates a loss for that leg.

Anyways, this is an NG problem. I like the aircraft, but this problem is solely down to Boeing design fault.