PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pprune should go
View Single Post
Old 5th Apr 2001, 19:05
Raw Data

Unsurprising, I suppose, that LittleBubba should so effectively prove the point. Just couldn't resist taking a pop an the Guvnor, could you? Even in the midst of a discussion about abusing others on PPRuNe. Just as well the Guv has rhinocheros skin! Interesting, too, that this topic degenerated into name calling within only a few posts.

Anyway, the point is that the issues raised are PEOPLE issues. Nothing to do with pilots or non-pilots. A simple dynamic that operates in any large group of people, exacerbated by the anonymity of it all.

I dislike the anonymity, mainly because it allows cowards and other morally bankrupt people to take shots at others with impunity. Sometimes they do it to make a point, but more often they simply want to inflict hurt on someone from the anonymity of their PC. Another sad, but predictable human trait that goes with the safety of anonymity. Some of us aren't anonymous, which raises other problems!

Of course, PPRuNe would simply not work WITHOUT anonymity. And we are the worse for it.

I quite believe Choomi Noboff, mainly because I have seen similar effects on a colleague of mine. The worst confidence-killer is thinking your peers despise you.

Regarding content, the bottom line is that it is Dannys toy and he can moderate as he sees fit. I reckon he gets it right 99% of the time, as I am sure most folk do because they all keep coming back! The only bit of content I don't like is the rapidly-proliferating advertising which slows the experience down somewhat.

Some of us like reasoned debate. To many, it is a pastime in itself- I really enjoyed the religious debate we had a while back because it brought so many thinking people out of the woodwork, and resulted in an absorbing and intelligent (for the most part) debate. And it wasn't even about flying!

Anyway, if you are waiting for the idiots to leave, you'll be waiting a long time. They'll hang around until the forum is nearly dead, and, like rats leaving a sinking ship, they will then desert. Human nature again.

Regarding our professional image, that is long gone in most peoples eyes these days anyway. Anyone who is internet-aware will know that these sorts of heated discussions take place on all forums, across the board of professions and interests. The motorcycle forums I belong to are far worse when it comes to abuse. No, if you are going to embrace the internet, you have to accept anarchy as a de-facto standard.

Where does that leave us? PPRuNe will continue, I should think, for a long time. Accept it for what it is, accept its' limitations, and the limitations of the contributors here. It is still very much a minority of the flying profession represented here. Maybe- just maybe- some of the more intelligent lurkers will jump a little harder on the idiots out there. Self-regulation is the only effective solution.

All good fun...!!!

[This message has been edited by Raw Data (edited 05 April 2001).]