PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Flying School (Ireland)?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2009, 14:25
glennmcl08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah well its mainly the fact that i want to stay home now, i was in the army at 16 and i discharged on week 10 of basic because i couldnt cope being away from family, friends, girlfriend etc. also to become aircrew in the AAC takes along time, up to 5 years just to do rear crewman, and anywhere up to 12 years to just get a consideration for pilot training, needless to say the AAC holds only approximately 90 odd aircraft between 3,000+ AAC soldiers, and you dont have to be in the AAC to apply for pilot so it is a very big field and i only have GCSE's no A-levels which doesnt bring out much light from me.

I wanted to join the RAF from a young age, i walked into the careers office at 15 and tried asking for info but they turned me away and said come back when you get your grades, i went into rebel mode and walked over to the army desk and signed up in the heat of the moment. But now that you mentioned it i might actually think of going into the RAF now, something like weapons systems operator, something to keep me working around aircraft, and give me enough money to fund my own modular training package.

Well thanks for your reply's guys its going to be a tough decision as i have 4 weeks left and im nowhere near as fit as i should be, especially after finishing a detox from all the alcohol during the xmas period lol but just to note i had a word with the missus and she is fine with moving to the UK, so if you know of any good quality flying schools you could recommend for a young wannabe pilot please do let me know

Oh and one more thing. Assuming i get my PPL, if i then done a ME/MEIR course would this be good enough to get a job in flying? Because if im funding myself i wont be able to afford the ATPL until a good few years down the line, or could i possibly just get a PPL and build hours and maybe become an instructor? im not sure how many hours schools like instructors to have if you could tell me that be great.

Glenn