PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR 09L rolling down the runway
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2002, 19:34
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LHR 09L rolling down the runway

While go-arounds are flavour of the month:

In this recent spate of easterlies, I've noticed an interesting trend of BA 737, 757 and A319/320s rolling down the runway without asking, and sometimes doing so even after asking and being denied.

For example; yesterday evening, we had a clear day and a 10kt headwind, so the spacing was 2.5 miles on final. BA 737, on being cleared to land at 200ft, asks for a roll to the Bravos (block 16), and I reply 'Negative', which he acknowledges.

So there I am, expecting him to adhere to the AIP 'minimum time on the runway' and vacate first available turning, which for a 737 in a 10kt headwind would usually be block 11 (all the Lufthansa, Midland and Aer Lingus 737s seemed to be coming off there okay), but he merrily speeds past it; "Vacate FIRST right, company traffic short final" I say, he acknowledges while rolling past 13. "Expedite vacating" I say", "Wilco" he says, while sailing past 14. Eventually he vacates at 15, which I reckon is about 2200-2300m.

Luckily the one behind was happy to take a 'land after'.

Why did he ask to roll if he was going to anyway?
If he wasn't going to try to vacate with minimum time, I would have liked to have known (as would radar) prior to the event.

Just an observation..........

Comments? Am I missing something obvious here?