PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique - good or not?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2009, 07:19
Final 3 Greens

I have about 220 hours on various PA28s.

Must say that I have never felt the need to set the trim other than neutral for take off, which is an imprecise art as others have said.

The stick forces on the PA28 are light, IMHO, more of an issue is the control movement of the yoke require to achieve the correct flare when landing, i.e. up in your chest region

The "feel" of the controls is probably not helped on the PA28 by the rubber seals (or whatever they are called) that sit in the holes throught the various parts of the airframe where the cables run. These seem to me to make the controls feel a little "stiff", rather than heavy, on some examples. Quite different to an Aztec, for instance, with a silky smooth feeling.

One can trim tail heavy to reduce the pull, but in the event of a go around, the consequences of the trim seeting must then be managed.

So I've usually lived with the long pull on landing, even though it feels a little wierd.

Of course, it's a personal matter and I am in no way implying criticism of others with different views, just sharing my experiences.