PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters shooting down aircraft
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 23:12
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Germans" - in WWII - found helo's hard targets ?

Even with Hanna Reich's efforts, I should have thought the hardest thing was rarity, and I would have thought it would only take a second, low speed attack - such 'helo's were not exactly gunships able to fire back or even dodge with agility - so the most dangerous part would presumably be the 'never do' second run with AAA prepared, the 'helo' being pretty much a decoy !

As to covert defence of the realm, hell yes; I know of a Cessna 172 armed with a 400mm lens sent up to inspect a bogey approaching Windsor about the first day we were allowed to fly after 9/11.

Unfortunately the PA28 in the sights had retractable gear, so just cruised away from the clapped out 172 despite the best efforts of the pilot, 'vectored' by ATC !

The PA28 was just lost or stupid - I expect something nasty & pointy would have appeared very shortly afterwards courtesy of a Tornado or Rapier if he hadn't turned away ( probably wouldn't have hit him until running out of rounds, but might have frightened him into a heart attack seems the best bet ).

The aircrew were all for putting an 'interceptor' zap on the 172, but the boss, an a******le at all times, salesman 1, airman 0, vetoed it.

Last edited by Double Zero; 7th Jan 2009 at 23:23.