PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 19:24
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Yes Iowa. Sorry. I think a forced landing has to do with an immediate and unavoidable landing, not whether it is survivable or not, and I don't think three of those is unusual in 40 years of flying. Without looking it up, I think it was Capt. Al Haines? Lots of help in the cockpit, and although the a/c was unflyable, people lived. The accident was powerplant related, the a/c had three engines (at least at T/O), and I think is instructive when discussing the "dangers" of ETOPS. By the way, I've always been fond of Douglas a/c, and if you fly (flew) the friendly skies, you remember my favorite, the DC-6. We may have some mutual acquaintances. AF"

Yes, it was Al. Are you saying HE had three forced landings, or you? I'm just thankful I never had ANY in 30 years.

Ah yes, the DC-6/7. First Type Rating. Great machine. Flew all seats. I was the last one off. I still prefer the Connie, but never got a rating in it. Probably why I liked the -8 so much; some similarities with the Connie.

Yup, we probably have some mutuals. I guess we're getting a little off course, however.