PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA proposes 40-48 hour rest after 'ultra-long-range flights'
Old 7th Jan 2009, 16:27
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glueball;

Well, I didn't put it quite so pithely but I know precisely what you mean; Scheduling, Ops, the accountants, the company negotiators and even the regulator know some pilots can be "bought" as described. They are the pilots who are pointed to when others are trying to create suitable duty day regulations against the substantial onslaught by the airlines' lobbyists - in Canada as well as the US. In my view such personal values are unprofessional. True, there are circumstances which advantage both oneself and the company but I've known some to "volunteer" for a YYZ-LHR turn "to help out"...and to extend duty days far beyond both contractual and regulatory limits either for "future considerations" or for a direct change in scheduling not originally bid. A nineteen-hour-'plus' two-leg duty day for example may make an individual a lot of money and cause a trip drop for more time off but the airline makes quick note and "knows who to call". Pretty discouraging for those negotiating for duty days that actually take science into account. Thank goodness such are a tiny minority.