PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter-mounted wrecking ball
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 15:04
Lutefisk989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS:

What I assumed is IF the aircraft were N-registered, then the operation had to be approved by the FAA. You're right: I have no clue where it is registered. But the point is that some Authority had to approve it...and therefore it is "legal." But legal and silly and two different things. This operation is silly, in my opinion.

Now as to departing an airfield VFR in Zero/Zero conditions....just how do you do that?
Simple: you file an IFR flight plan, and get a clearance, and away you go. Then you hope that you don't have a problem, like an engine failure on departure... This is an "innovative" way to fly, but not a smart one.

Note that I said "departing a VFR field" (meaning no instrument approaches)... I did not say "departing a field under VFR." My point here is that we have silly ops rules.

I take no issue with the other operations you cite...they are meaningful, productive, economically viable.

Not very empirical approach to your test flying.....and now I suspect who tutored our dear friend and colleague who figures Vy is about one half Vne.
Empirical? My test flying is by the book, as was my time in the military. Not sure why you would belittle that. "Superior pilots are those who use superior judgement, so that don't have to rely on superior skills"...I'd like to believe there's a good reason why I have a good flying record.

Sorry for stating an opinion. I thought "professional" in PRUNE meant something. Guess I'll just lurk.