PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Topeka police - Police helicopter: Review in order
Old 7th Jan 2009, 11:47
R44-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should do as the UK Police do, have commercial pilots to fly the things.

All do respect to the Police officers who want to have a blast at flying but imo a pilot to fly commercial operations needs that "love" for helicopter flight to get through any cpl(h) course, Experience for such operations just can't be had with 150 hours, I have 150 hours all in Robbies and even if it was allowed he I wouldnt feel qualified to fly on op's.

Why does the Pilot need to be a copper? He's got enough to do flying the thing, do they hope he's gonna hover along side and cuff someone?

The money it cost them to train a Police officer to even 150 hours out weighs a pilots annual sallery for 12 months, then they have to pay the copper anyway..... Get a qualified Commercial pilot in from day one, no real training costs, just his pay, less risk, less money more experience..... the list goes on, these guys just dont make any sence at all, who's sorting there budget out is what needs to be asked.......