PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 28 Day rule for UK airstrips under threat
Old 12th Apr 2002, 13:53
SteveR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted.

Reasons for not spending 5 minutes and a first class stamp:

a. "Letters don't make a difference, they're going to do what they like anyway"

Not true. We got a few letters written in support of Rochester, only a few, perhaps because we weren't organised, but they made a difference. The bigotted fu**wits who want to shut the airfield were aggrieved by being bothered, the supporters were heartened. Lots of letters sent now will allow somebody at some stage in the future to ask somebody "How many letters have been recieved in support of no change?"

b. "Loads of people sending the same sort of letter will just look like a letter writing campaign"

So what? The antis organise letter writing campaigns - if we don't do the same the powers that be will just think that nobody cares enough to keep farm strips

c. "I'm never going to put my clean, fragile aircraft into a muddy boggy field without tarmac, refuelling and a crash crew - why do I care if farmer Giles can't fly her crate out of her back garden"

Because farmer Giles and her friends are the grass roots of aviation. They need to be trained, they need to revalidate, they need engineering, they need fuel. They get all of this at your lovely tarmac, proper airfield - and your field needs their wonga as much as it needs yours.

Just do it.

Steve R