PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA funding of UK retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2009, 04:53
Voiceofreason

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Secondly, forcing someone out at age 55 is, quite simply, a human’s rights issue. No contract can impose something in contravention to ones individual human rights.
I don't think this is quite right, Raven - as others previous have mentioned, why is 65 not a human rights issue and 55 is? I agree, times change, and therefore the actual ages referred to must change (as all other perceptions regarding race, age, sex etc must), but I really don't think it boils down to human rights. Contractual and Equal Opportunities Law, though, yes.

I tend to see it as the ending term of the contract I'm on. Many pilots in other carriers are offered fixed term deals - one month, 5 years, it doesn't matter. When they reach the end of that contract, they need to sign a new one in order to get paid.

I see reaching my 55th birthday as the same process - if I want to carry on, I need to sign a new deal. In this light, it is effectively a very long-term (30 years odd) fixed contract. I have always expected to end this contract at 55 (unless we reach a deal that suits us), as this hasn't changed since the day I signed.

And I'm not sure the AOA update addresses the issue at all - the fact is, the funding is still proceeding, no matter if they or the company "started it". Sounds like a playground taunt now!