PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF
Thread: CARDIFF
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2009, 21:00
caaardiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my point of view, the issue is that CWL missed the boat a number of times over the past few years.
Now they are finally trying to get their act together, with the route survey, and fishing for route incentives etc.
But it has come at the wrong time. Airlines dont want to expand at the moment.
Even though it was only 2 routes, the loss of Zoom was not great for CWL. They provided international routes, on large aircraft. Many travellers used Zoom to YYZ to connect to onward Canadian destinations, something GSM were never going to do with YHM.
Hopefully the airport will try everything they can to get an operator in for Canada. But as times are, there may be a wait.

As for DXB - whilst NCL has exceeded expectations, i really cant see CWL filling a daily A330, especially with BHX/LHR a few hours up the road.

NYC - realistically, cant compete with CO at BRS/BHX.

Charter will eventually get back on its feet. TOM and TCX are still getting their acts together after the merger. We're already seeing TCX come back in the winter, and are adding a few extra flights during the coming summer.

TOM are scaling back their lo-cost which is partly why there is a reduction this year. Hopefully 2010 will be the year for them at CWL.

Hopefully TOM or TCX will pull something out of the bag with regards to Long Haul ops, especially Orlando.
Something the management could aim at is getting Travel City Direct back into CWL under the Virgin Brand.

I think we should all sit tight for the moment and be thankful we still have an airport and the majority of airlines that operate from there!