PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 6th Jan 2009, 20:33
JimbosJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA ATPL(A) to JAA CPL(H)

Hey rotorheads, I hope someone is able to help me out. I am an experienced but sadly unemployed (4600hrs total, 4300 jet) ATPL(A) Captain.

Clearly I have done the usual cv bombing campaign to try and return to work, but I have always had an interest in Helis and after hooking up seriously with a Norwegian gf am looking into Helicopters as a way to move closer with a final goal of settling down properly.

Now withholding the usual "career first, relationship second" arguments, how much realistically will I be hit for should I convert my ATPL(A) to CPL(H)?

I understand I will be exempt from some parts but not sure which exams and how many hrs are knocked off from the CPL(H) requirement. Does my fixed wing IR count for or towards the heli IR?

Are any of my fixed wing hrs relevant to a potential employer? Am I wasting my time even contemplating the move to rotary?

I'm sure a quick call to the UK CAA would make this clearer, but nothing beats some genuine (hopefully unbiased) advice from fellow pilots

Thanks in advance.