PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of Reverser on the 737 classics and -900
Old 6th Jan 2009, 17:56
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some comments on this thread indicate a lack of understanding of reverser use on the 737 models.
Full reverse, every time is the SOP at my outfit
Really? That goes against Boeing guidance from the FCTM (repeated below for info).

"After touchdown, with the thrust levers at idle, rapidly raise the reverse thrust
levers up and aft to the interlock position, then to the number 2 reverse thrust
detent. Conditions permitting, limit reverse thrust to the number 2 detent."

Many pilots I fly with are not completely familiar with the various detent positions. Again, look at the diagram in the FCTM which explains all.

My personal opinion is that the -900's performance is poor, and at the moment company policy is to tanker fuel, so nearly always landing heavy away from base. End result is that I nearly always end up using full reverse.
Unless you are doing this to keep the brakes cool, then again, some misunderstanding of what reverse thrust does is being displayed. Unless you are landing on a slippery runway, use of more than idle reverse thrust will not stop you quicker (i.e. improve your landing performance), it will merely modulate the brakes to achieve the same deceleration rate as if you used idle reverse (detent 1).

i've found that a gentle mix between unlock detent and second detent modulated back to idle by about 60kts,works well for me. Thats also what I teach online and in sims.
Again, not how Boeing say it should be used;

"Maintain reverse thrust as required, up to maximum, until the airspeed approaches 60 knots. At this point start reducing the reverse thrust so that the reverse thrust levers are moving down at a rate commensurate with the deceleration rate of the airplane. The thrust levers should be positioned to reverse idle by taxi speed, then to full down after the engines have decelerated to idle."

Note that they should remain at the selected setting until 60kts decelerating, not 'modulated back to idle by 60kts', which is a common mistake seen on the line, as is stowing them at 60kts when only reverse idle has been selected.

The only time Boeing recommend maximum reverse thrust, i.e. beyond detent 2, is with non-normal landings, such as an overweight landing, flapless landing or flat main gear tyre etc.

PP.

p.s. Edited to add, 'norm' in my company is idle detent unless more is needed. You will find that many airfield briefs stipulate limiting thrust to reverse idle unless for safety reasons.....due to noise.

Last edited by Pilot Pete; 6th Jan 2009 at 19:00.