PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swissport BHX -what's gone wrong?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2009, 16:00
Trash_Hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been in this industry for about 15 years. I have worked for both airlines directly and handling agents. It is not totally managements fault, I give you that, but mostly it is.

It is about high time that the people screwing things up are held to task. If that is the workers themselves, then great. Get rid of the dead wood. I would rather work in an ops department with a few dedicated, hard working professionals than a bunch of deadbeats that cant even bother to progress their careers forward. If you are not trained on something then you should be finding out WHY. If you can't be bothered however. don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya! Well trained professional staff also creates a better working environment between flight decks and ops/dispatch. If we know what the hell we are talking about and you on the flight deck have that trust in us everyone wins.

Now if the problem on the other hand is that training is not available due to staffing or budgetary issues (more often than not the case... it is not unheard of to forgo training simply because "we can't afford to spare the guys") then that is toatally at the fault of management. Begs the question of why there are not enough guys in the first place! Airlines pay a fair price. Handling agents charge a fair price, train your staff and pay them what they are worth... and things will be instantly better.