PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all DA40 XL and Cirrus SR22 owners
Old 6th Jan 2009, 14:51
rokami93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could that be due to very different marketing, not to mention a very different mission capability? An SR22 is a lot more capable compared to the DA40. In the USA, the SR22 is marketed as a saloon car replacement, to young well funded men. This is the only realistic way forward in GA these days, but it will attract a higher % of pilots who think they are invincible.
Also Cirrus tries to make it a saloon car replacement. I guess it just transmits the wrong idea to the wrong people. Diamond is successful with their strategy, too, and I guess there are many ways of marketing an airplane without affecting the safety of passengers.

But also, the SR22 is a lot less forgiving and needs more skills. Really, both planes should not be compared. I would consider an SR22 as an adequate airplane for someone with 500+ hrs and IF experience and the Diamond the most pleasant and safest way to get there.

Also, there is a big difference on prices and specifications. They have only have a few things in common: they are modern, plastic 4 seaters.

I have flown both and will stay with my Diamond for personal reasons. I can carry another couple to fly them around, but I can also use the rear seats to put bikes and my dog. That will be a bit hard to do in a Cirrus.

If I would have a younger girl-friend at home which loves me for my money while travelling to business meetings with people whose money I like to have in order to stay with that hottie at home, I guess I wanted to be home faster and die young...