PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gaydon Victor fox hunt incident
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2009, 07:56
JanotLapin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnny Johnson.

I never encountered Johnny Johnson on "V" Bombers , but he was A.O.C. of M.E.A.F.while I was in Aden.When he took over the job everyone was trying to get a look at him , to see if he was wearing "Bondoo Boots". The regulation RAF shoe was uncomfortable in that heat , and there was a rumour that the new boss would change the footwear rule by example . Anyway , he was seen wearing bondoo boots and everyone else started wearing them too .He obtained a couple of early Canberras which he had sprayed white , with "V" bomber anti flash paint .It was said to cost £500 a tin in 1960 money . I suppose they were his personal sports cars. Anyway they kept going U/S and it was decided that ASF jets and ASF pistons would do a major on one each . I worked in ASF jets so got to work on our one for about 3 months . The riggers changed the canopy but it would not fit , despite hours of filing . Eventually they found they had a Belfast hood but it was a Wharton Canberra , or the other way round . Anyway they got the right hood and fitted it . After a couple of test flights , both Canberras were scrapped . The [brand new ] engines were removed , placed outside the hangar , and later smashed up by an old corporal who,s job was to cut up old aircraft .[As were both hoods from our one .]
Various rumours circulated about Johnny Johnson , none of which may be true . One was that he sent a Beverley down to Kenya to fetch some top soil for his garden . Another that he ordered another AOCs inspection of a base in Kenya , because he found a cigarette end in a hangar.The AOCs inspection was said to cost £6000000 , but I can,t imagine what that was for? The Canberras were replaced by an Avro 748 and I saw Johnny Johnson run it into the soft gypsum next to the runway .
My own gripe with him was this . I had a jazz band in Aden . " The Original Treadmill Snycopators" . ASF Jets gave me a day off after each gig that we played , as I was contributing to the morale of the chaps . [making it worse , probably] Unfortunately , this meant that the work I should have done was done by my corporal , Bob [Jock] Robertson from Inverkeithing . So I just used to go in late . I was staggering in one morning , still reeling from the many pints of Tiger beer that the W.V.S. had paid the band in [[in lui of cash] I had to walk past a Twin Pioneer .I passed under the wing and very close to the prop when Johnny Johnson fired the starter cartridge , just about level with my ear . No doubt his idea of a joke . To conclude , Aden was said to cost £2000000 a week to run [in 1960 money , you know , groats ] What a waste.