PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Miles M.52 and the X-1 - again!
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2009, 22:10
Tim McLelland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miles M.52 and the X-1 - again!

I've been thumbing-through the various snippets about the aborted M.52 project and I'm trying (as best I can!) to establish what the true story was - rather than the usual urban myths that get churned-out year after year.

It seems to be accepted that the British Government sanctioned the release of all the Miles data (and some hardware if you believe some reports) to Bell, but does anyone know of any factual information which relates to this information exchange? I'm surprised that more information hasn't come to light after all this time.

I'm also intrigued by the notion that the release of info was done as an exchange agreement when America supposedly failed to deliver on their part of the bargain. Clearly there must have been some good reason for Britain abandoning the M.52 project and giving the information to Bell, but I don't accept the notion that it was all done on the basis of an information exchange which wasn't completed. One has to conclude that there was much more to the story but there doesn't seem to be much evidence to indicate what the real motives behind Britain's move were.

Anybody heard anything new on this age-old story recently?