PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Unrelated systems failures during simulator training
Old 5th Jan 2009, 19:49
YoDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and another thing....

personally if i felt the checky was being unfair and purposely trying to fail me i'd stop the sim session and ask for a meeting with managment to discuss.................
Harden up.

The machine is there for training as much as practicing. If you go in insisting on knowing in advance exactly what is going to be failed on every session, and then reacting to it like a canned event, then you're cheating yourself.

A lot of people don't seem to realise the training is about doing 90% of the work at home or in the classroom. Knowing the procedures, systems, QRH, etc long before you step into the sim to see it in action.

Treat the session as an introduction to the failures and an invaluable opportunity to figure out how to handle any emergency, not necessarily that emergency.

Sim Psychology - Don't be afraid of the machine. Loaded up with multiple failures? Tough **** - what are you gonna do in real life?? Who ya gonna call? Management on the satphone? Ghostbusters? As I said - harden up. And do your homework.

Okay I know it's a wank but:

First upgrade sim: Bomb threat LOFT scenario. Big fun playing the CRM game. Leads to explosion in fwd cargo, depressurisation over high terrain, #2 Eng Fire, Dual Hyd failure, Flt Cont non-normal (due to Hyd issue). Maybe it wasn't pretty my handling of it and it certanly wasn't fun but I learned a little from it about how to juggle things under pressure. Did I cry to management about how they had more than one major systems failure? Take a guess.

Put in the effort at home in your own time. Don't blame the instructor for expecting you to work.

"Assessment should not involve simulation of more than one emergency at a time".
Is that an exact quote? If so then I'd suggest that "should not" does not mean "shall not" or "must not."

Why train down to an expectation when you can train up to a standard? If you're under training and you can't handle the burst tyre followed by engine and subsequent hydraulic malfunctions then okay, have a little cry and most instructors will usually turn the "Hard" selector to "Easy" for you.

And if it's a "scheduled" check (aka a Recurrent or PPC) then it is usually a canned exercise and there is no reason for them to be introducing the extra malfunction along the way.

So which one is it?

Before the peanut gallery start in with the predictable sledging etc no I don't consider myself an ace; but I do consider myself deserving of realistic training. This means multiple failures a lot of the time, just like (surprise!) in real life. I'll say it again: Harden up.

The canned recurrent sim sessions are easily determined in advance from the other pilots. It's very easy to not learn anything from these sessions. The professional pilot accepts the nature of the "game" and strives to learn regardless of whatever difficulty (including the instructor) he might be facing.

there are very few situations which require you to land like NOW.
Except all the ones mentioned in the QRH of course. Excellent training advice there. And free too.

Best course of action in the mission impossible style sim scenario is to take your time, extended briefings, slow taxi, enter holding patterns, by then the inexperienced sim instructor starts to run out of time, starts cutting corners, has his attention diverted and usually f#$ks something up. The experienced sim instructor will work his way around it, but at least you buy your self some extra time, there are very few situations which require you to land like NOW.
Sorry but that is one of the worst comments I've ever read on this forum. Unprofessional in the extreme. The time in the sim (be it training or regular recurrent) is there for you to be brought up to and/or demonstrate proficiency at.. the standard. The people I've met during my years in the airlines who say things like that quoted above are usually the ones of the lowest standard who shamelessly make excuses in de-brief minutes after their poor performance (which is bad enough) but even worse, usually do not even acknowledge their own complete lack of preparation.

If you've got a beef with the fellow running the sim, too bad. Put in your best while he puts in his worst. Learn from it. Have a beer afterward. Move on. You are paid to do this. If you're the sort who will waste the simulator time, the company's time, the instructor's time, the other pilot's time and your own time with the childish and unprofessional **** quoted above then please do everyone from the CEO to the pax to your fellow crew a favour and quit the airline before you hurt someone.

Last edited by YoDawg; 5th Jan 2009 at 20:06.