PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft down in Staffordshire
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2009, 18:47
beatnik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilotmike

I was tempted to ignore the two posts you addressed to me, as inflamatory words like "voyeuristic" and "ghoulish" hardly help support any rational argument. But I found your last post speculative and bombastic, so in an attempt to set the record straight, let me assure you that there was nothing more sinister in my actions than Nutloose has correctly surmised.

Here's what happened. I read Nutloose's post. I thought his suggestion that the pilot's address be (temporarily) removed from the CAA website was a good one, and simply wanted to see if it had been done.

I was disappointed that it hadn't, but was even more surprised that, instead, someone had found the time to update the details in the way I described. Perhaps my use of the word "Speechless" was a bit sensationalist and for that I am happy to apologise.

You have, however, surmised the following (I don't know how to do the "quote thingies"):

"By contrast, beatnik has done the complete opposite by:
1 Going to look specifically for information about the victim
2 Checking for changed status to deceased
3 posting the information here, drawing its availability to a wider audience
4 expressing shock at OTHER people's actions!"

1 - False : I wasn't specifically looking for info on the victim - I have no interest in that information - as explained, I was following up on Nutloose's post to see if the info had been removed to protect the pilot's family from unwanted press intrusion.
2 - False : I wasn't checking to see if the status had been changed to deceased (I didn't even know the CAA do that) - I was just shocked that it had, and at how quickly it had been done, all on a Sunday.
3 - I accept your point on this one - but I gave no further details as to existence of the site than others on this forum have previously presented.
4 - To quote Nutloose again, it was a case of me being "appalled at the CAA's uncaring response". It has nothing to do with someone doing their JOB, because I find it hard to believe that it is someone's job to go in and update this type of information without forms being filled in, before changes are made to the website - which is why I take some offence to your comment that "It was his breathtaking hypocrisy with his self-righteous indignation at the CAA doing their job". I'll use an absurb example to try and make my point: I own a plane, and then decide to move house. News of my move and my new address (for some reason) is reported on Sky News. Would someone in the CAA go in and change my address details? No - I don't think they would.

Pilotmike, I have no further wish to perpetuate this argument, and so I can only hope you understand what prompted me to post my comment in the first place. If not, I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.