PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gaydon Victor fox hunt incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2009, 17:06
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was at Cottesmore, 1960-62, Johnny Johnson was a Gp Capt and CO!

He had a habit of arriving at Crash Gate one via a side road, then calling up for the crash crew to come and open it for him, the reason being, as he explained to this lowly SAC one-day, "I can be in my office before anyone knows I'm there". I had numerous chats with him and of course knowing who he was meant I was in absolute awe of the man. It was only later in life that I came to realise not everyone saw him in that light!Many years later he was a guest at the Wanaka Air Show in New Zealand and I reminded him of his crash gate episodes, and he was gracious enough to say he remembered me, something I doubt very much.

He had, however, something to do with the Cottemore Hunt, and I had heard that he sought out some airman volunteers once to go to Melton Mowbray for some reason, and they had been royally fed and watered. I waited in vain for my invite!

Just as an aside, Cottesmore on a bright sunny winter's day covered in snow with 10 and 15 parked up for the day was a magical scene in my book.

Last edited by Samuel; 5th Jan 2009 at 17:34. Reason: I can't count