PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2009, 12:14
west atc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you will find (En-Route wise) Maastricht beats just about anybody for controller-acft ratio in Europe and Cleveland in the USA...cant think of anywhere in Aus that would come close. Let the stats prove me wrong

TT
Wow, Traffic Traffic putting down aussie controllers, who would have thought that would happen!

Why has this thread degenerated into a mine is bigger than yours debate? The amount of traffic controlled by a controller is no reflection on workload and I think you will find that if you are talking about the number of aircraft on frequency at any one time then the big Procedural sectors over Central Australia would have a lot on frequency at any one time but this doesn't mean that they are necessarily busy.

When you are talking about ATC workload there are so many variables that determine how busy you are, pretty much every controller in the world will be busy at peak times.

Trying to compare how many aircraft fly each route is beginning to think like a manager (as a suspect TT is), because reducing ATC to pure numbers doesn't give an accurate picture of complexity, sector size, numbers of inbounds vs numbers of outbounds, conflictions..... I could keep going and going.

I have now worked different areas in Australia and Ireland and each sector I have worked has its own complexites and difficulties and trying to compare them is a useless exercise.