PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gaydon Victor fox hunt incident
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2009, 07:27
JanotLapin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
232 O.c.u.

Yes I made a mistake about the O.C.U. , it was 232 . The unofficial motto was "It,s all been Changed".
As the first snow was falling we pushed all the ground equipment , giraffes and so on , onto the squadron carpark . They were subsequently covered in snow which became almost solid with time , and as they,d been very neatly placed in true RAF manner , and interlocking , we were unable to dig them out . One doghandler burrowed into the mound and made himself an igloo . Another had a real swine of an alsation , about 3/4 normal size but far more vicious than usual . I was on nights one night and the squadron was nearly deserted , it being about 2.30 am. I was working on an oxygen regulator in the bomb aimer,s prone position in the nose . I had a very powerful Aldis lamp.The dog handler , seeing beams of light emanating from the bomb aimers window came over to investigate . I pressed the Aldis lamp against the glass and waited til he peered in , then switched it on . I heard a strangled cry but no more . Having repaired the leaky regulator , I started to climb down the ladder , I heard a deep growl . Doghandler had tied his 3/4 size psychodog to the ladder . I spent a long time in that very cold cockpit , which was no more than I deserved.
Some weeks later the dog went mad , putting the handler in hospital , but not before he shot it with his .38 pistol . I talked to him about it later and he was surprisingly sorry about the incident . He actually liked the dog.
Incidentally , I was known as "Shingles" at Gaydon ,[long story] I wonder if anyone else who was there reads this site?