PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Twotter' to make a comeback?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 23:22
V1... Ooops

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SMS777
I have no doubt in an airliner but my point was survivability in the harsh environment like sea mist, high humidity, corrosion due to seawater or the other extremes the Otters exposed to like dust or -60 C cold etc.
Well, the answer to that is easy: Just ask yourself how well other fancy electronics like cell phones, iPods, and laptop computer survive in harsh environments. I haven't heard any reports of rampant failures of these type of consumer electronics in any of the environments you talk about, and the Twin Otter electronics are built to a far more robust Military Spec than any consumer electronics.

FYI, the four big display screens in the Twin Otter are manufactured by Barco (Netherlands) for Honeywell, and they are the same size and basic specification of screen as what the US Army uses in the Abrahms M-1 battle tank at both the gunner and the driver station. The American Army has been kind enough to test these screens out for the last 5 years during their little sojourn in Iraq - so, I think that they should be robust enough for a Twin Otter.

Lastly - Honeywell provides a full 3 year warranty (no exceptions, no ifs, ands, or buts) on all the avionics, and Honeywell also offers extended warranties up to 10 years duration in case an operator has any concerns, or wishes to fix their maintenance costs in advance.