PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC Optometry Department Closed
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 22:50
starbright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TF,

Long and short nobody knows what is happening! Spoke to my Med centre and they haven't a clue as it is news to them aswell. I only found out through Sentry Agitator's post and I called the week they shut and was lucky to order a 6 month supply (Yes, Mr C Winecup I had to pay the going unsubsided rate just like yourself, actually think they are more expensive than the high street but in accordance with the JSP, our orders, we have to buy them through the RAF). Hopefully within 6 months the new system will be up and running!?!? I know it is not ideal and doesn't address the long term problem but Specsavers can have you sorted fairly quickly with a presciption and the prices are similiar including free check-ups (Yes, M C Winecup just like you get!) Save you a trip to Birmingham and get you sorted quicker but not quite strictly by the book.

I would like to Sentry Agitator for bringing this to everyone's attention. It is good that people highlight things like this to each other, hence how I knew to get a good stock of lenses. I am very dissappointed that people like Mr C Winecup use this forum as vent for anti-aircrew sentiment. I know there is alot of aircrew/non-aircrew banter in the service and long should it remain. However, there is no need for the bitter and twisted to vent their spleen on such a forum. Quite frankly they should be banned.

We all have jobs to do in the RAF, whether we are in "grow bags","blues" or "civvies", lets focus on the the common enemy (Taleban, Politicians, Soviets etc). We all have the same opportunities in life, some choose different paths or are forced down a certain route. Some fly aircraft, some fix them, some feed us, some pay us (unless you bank with the Nationwide!) and so on. We all work hard at different times and lets keep the petty bitching out of public sight and in the workplace, frankly it is not very professional. Herewith end of moan.....

For those non-military who are reading this, the perks in the service aren't quite what you think i.e. we don't get free contact lenses, but we do get upto 6-month all-inclusive winter sun breaks to Iraq and Afghanistan...interested? Then sign up and enjoy the "perks"!

Also a big thank you to Chetna, Penny and the rest of the crew for their years of excellent service, you will be missed! Wish you all the very best for the future!

SB