PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dragonair Freighters
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2001, 05:58
conairhk

There are two options:
1) The current situation prevails. The freighters are crewed by none Dragonair guys, who join a separate company. There is no seniority within Dragonair, and those within Dragonair who wish to join must resign from KA, and join the bottom of the freighter seniority list (but as captain).The guys who are direct entry F/Os will take for ever to obtain a command, as the existing captains will be able to continue to renew their contracts.They have no seniority in Dragon mainline, as its a separate company.

2) Dragonair management allow the current bunch of Capts/FOs who have made a bid ,to transfer to the freighter.They join in seniority, ie above the direct entry Capts/Fos, as they have been in Dragonair a hell of a lot longer.When the contracts for the direct freighter crew expire, they have to join the Dragonair mainline seniority. If you are a skipper, its likely that you will have to become an f/o in Hong Kong (or on the freighter, I guess), else resign. As f/os, you will be at the bottom of the seniority list anyway(exactly what happened at Cathay).

I would not advise anybody to give up their current job for this contract. At the end of the day, unless a deal is worked out with the Dragonair pilots association, there is no freighter.It will sit on the ground, until a deal is worked out.

Interesting how much money the company is willing to waste training f/os who may will never be used if a deal isnt struck with the mainline. My advice to new joiners, wait until Dragonair have sorted the issue out with the guys already here. The company will otherwise prevail in splitting us into two units, with the associated disarray this will cause.

Yeah ,I've taken out the strong words, not nescessary

[This message has been edited by conairhk (edited 07 April 2001).]