PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2009, 19:29
Blockla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airservices Australia can solve its ATC staff problem by splitting ASA into two organisations again and closing one ATC centre.
For what purpose, to save money? The numbers don't stack up given the current rules regarding relocation expenses and the redundancies it would trigger... In a time of staffing crisis, generating redundancies isn't a good option.

The new ATC organisation can save face and get on with ATC and the rest of ASA can be called something else and sold off. The old fArts can retire or go overseas and the young guns can PUSH the TIN to their hearts content.
Currently the 'old fArts' are needed to plug in and wear headsets to talk to pilots.

Why does ASA need:
AIS - sell to Jeppesen or LIDO
To what end, to make it cheaper; who's maintaining the data organising the changes/charge for change as well as product, will that be cheaper.
Firefighters - sell to state fire department or airport
Currently on the back burner, decisions made to keep it in house.
a college - put it in a real school and contract the instructors
most of the instructors are contractors now, I think that is probably the route cause of what's going wrong in training now, save money is the first priority, not produce the product we need.
a huge HR department - contract a real HR organisation
sure could be more efficient, but is that the answer, short term savings - long term costs? Not sure given the padding apparent?
a huge PR department - come in spinner
Say no more...
a useless global marketing department - the global market is dead
Biggest joke around, always has been, never paid it's own way...
navigation aids - sell to airports or implement GNSS
GNSS isn't the short term answer, selling the aids would be as successful as selling them the airports...
navigation aid technicians - IVR or be employed by airports.
Who saves, this is shifting buckets... IVR = more $$$ not less.
You could even sell the Towers and Approach to the airports and just leave OZZIEATC as an enroute organisation.
All likelihood is any buyer would be in it for quids = extra $$$ for the industry in the longer term I'm sure.

The money saved by closing one centre, and the money gained by selling the land to the airport will pay for the expansion of the centre that remains and the associated staff costs with a resectorisation will up the profits to Sir Kevin and his boys without hurting the Minister for QANTAS's bottom line.

The rich and famous car radio installer would love it too.
I'd love to see the business case; given the last few (TMA consolidations and the sector consolidations before that) I'm not convinced there would be a cracker for industry by what you suggest and potentially opening the door for huge changes in costs at some locations.