PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many flying hours do you have?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 19:22
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total time just over 21,000 hours. My first flying lesson was when I was living in England at the age of 13. When I soloed on my 16th birthday, June 29, 1963, I had over 125 logged hours of dual instruction/right seat time in the J-3, L-20 Beaver, Piper Tri-pacer and an Stinston L-5. My father was an US Air Force pilot and we used Air Force Aero Club aircraft.

Because I suffered from Polio as a child I was unable to become a military pilot, so I did it the hard way. While in University I flew on charter on weekends and during the summer break. My first full time job as being a pilot was that of flying the US Mail at night starting in a Piper Twin Comanche and then an Aztec. My first corporate pilot position was flying a Piper Navajo and my last was flying a Falcon 50/900.

For ten years I left the corporate aviation industry and flew Boeing 727s for the United States Marshal Service. (Along with Sabre 80s, Westwinds, Lear 28 and a Lockheed 731 Jetstar.)

As a professional pilot my lowest flying time in one year was less than 100 hours. My highest flying time in a year was 1,256 hours while with the Marshal Service. At that time there were no restrictions or limits placed on Government pilots on how much we were allowed to fly, our normal schedule was flying at least four days a week all year long. Very seldom, however, did I just fly four days a week, usually it was five days or more a week, this included a lot of weekend operations.

I am typed rated on the Boeing 727, Sabreliner, Citation, Lear Jet, Westwind (IA-Jet), Jetstar, DC-3 and the Falcon 50/900. I have also flown full time the Kingair 90 and 200 and fours series of the MU-2. Needless to say I have flown a lot of light general aviation aircraft both single and multi-engine. Regarding the Sabreliner I flew the 40, 60, 80 and the 65, the IA-Jet I flew the 1121 Jet Commander, 1123 Commodore, Westwind, I and II.

The most unique aircraft that I have flown was a PQ-14. The most enjoyable would be a toss up between the 727-100 (with -8 engines) and the Falcon 900EX.

The most hated was the MU-2, all of them. The 1123 Commodore coming in a very close second.

Currently not flying.

Sorry, left off that I have an ATPL and Turbo-jet Flight engineer rating. Areas of operations was world wide.