PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 15:23
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi again:

Thanks for Snapshot words. Nice to read them.

Returning to 8 june action I found this link to Morgan book:
Hostile Skies

There are two interesting paragraphs:

1º: Unbeknownst to me, on my entry into the fight, I had mistaken the third Skyhawk for the rearmost man, a mistake that should have cost me my life. As I was about to line up my sights on the second A4, the rear man was manoeuvring in an attempt to spoil my whole day with a stream of 20 mm high explosive rounds. I had made the classic mistake of barrelling into the fight without total situational awareness. As a result, I had nearly collided with the fourth Skyhawk and was now directly in front of him. Purely by chance, Primer Teniente Hector Sanchez had taken some ground fire a few minutes earlier, which had damaged his gun in such a way that it would not fire. He had to watch, helplessly, as his formation fell prey to my deadly missiles.

2º: Suddenly, over the radio came an urgent shout from Dave Smith, "Pull up, Pull up, you're being fired at!" All he had seen of the fight up until now, because of the failing light, was two missile launches followed by two explosions. He then saw an aircraft, only feet above the water, flying through a hail of explosions and assumed it to be me. By now I had run out of ammunition and at Dave's cry, I pulled up into the vertical, through the setting sun and in a big lazy looping manoeuvre, rolled out at twelve thousand feet heading northeast for Hermes with my heart racing.

Is Morgan taking some literary license?
According to him, it seems as if you have intercepted a row of planes in the third step. The forth one, Sánchez, would have kept unseen in a forth place. According to FAA webpage, he saw the interception from upper and right, so he was on the left. This would place him ina left rear position. In fact, interception began before argentinean pilots get their objetive. Morgan describes how while is making his hard dive, he sees the first plane to attack and miss. Then the second scoring a hit. And the third taking a paralel course just on his left. He´s the one to be fired and the one to be shot down. Does it mean that Sánchez really was behind you on the left?

I agree that it´s impossible he to be behind and finally ahead. I think when he mentions to be fired, it could be the small arms that fired at him when overflew land during the ingress. Mazo and Martillo flights came from the west towards east. Overflew Fitzroy where were fired and damaged and then made, under Malvinas radar indications, a 180º right turn to look for the target. This put them on a west course over sea, heading for the landing craft. That´s just the moment in which Morgan saw them and began the interception. If they were flying an arrow formation, the ones on the left side probably placed in the rear after the right turn. Sánchez was probably one of them.
What do you think? In the second paragraph he says you thought he was the pilot flying betwen shots. What is not logical at all cause you indeed fired at that plane what hadn´t happened if you really had thought it was Morgan.

Navaleye ,about 30th may raid, my source, a crewmember named Andrew Mawman, told me that Exeter was 12,5 miles NW from Avenger. So someone´s is wrong, or both . And Invencible 24 miles east from them.

Argentineans used no french bombs during the war. The ones were Mk-17 (1000 lb) and BR-250 (250 Kg). The Naval aviation spent american Mk-82 with snakeye tails

Regards