PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a 747 Classic/Tristar with no FE
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2009, 00:29
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Have forgotten or never really knew"

411A, I am certainly old (and now retired), however I was never a malcontent. Sometimes , but very rarely, I did not look forward to going to work. On those very rare occasions I did not look forward to a trip it was only because I knew the PIC was of the same personality as your comments suggest you are, a self-opinionated one man band with a contemptuous opinion of your crew. If you hold such a lowly opinion of your lesser ranked crew members as your posts infer it must be a very uncomfortable environment in which to operate when you are the PIC.

I am sure that the aircraft manufacturers who designed aircraft with a F/E position believed that the F/E was a necessary member of the crew, just as they believed their aircraft needed two pilots. Obviously, the company for which I worked after life in the military thought we were a valuable asset, enough so for F/E's and F/O's to be on the same pay scales. I hope you get to enjoy your retirement, when it comes. I am sure many with whom you fly surely will.

Personally I can say with honesty that the vast majority of pilots with whom I operated were highly professional and skilled individuals who accepted that it was a "Crew" aircraft operation where all were expected and able to make their contribution to the smooth and efficient conduct of a flight in a friendly environment. Those pilots receive the respect of their fellow crew members, something which I guess would not concern you Sir.

This letter is not from the "head shed", just from one of those whom you would probably have ignored, found intrusive and sought to have replaced.