PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 23:34
murdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An asset, or more a massive pain in the a$$! You would need a **** load of money to get it up and going, a good piece of property and either well connected with the aviation authority or be ready to hand out some brown paper envelopes to get permissions and get things done.

At the end, what kind of service would you expect from a helicopte rcompany there? And who is gonna pay for the services? I cant see it happening, and from almost having the opportunity to setup a business there by people who claimed they had the money, I too believed it could be a great business idea. However, since gaining more experience in the islands and the business I would say it would one of the hardest ventures to do and massive amounts of money to be blown! The added expense of running a helicopter business in the islands just doesnt make it viable sometimes. Such is life!

People may think they are trying to help and may mean well - but when they have only got a Private Pilots License, and trying to do this kind of work - they are just endangering themselves and people around them. Systems are in place for a reason, and this unfortunate accident is why. Whick in a konck on effect also hinders any opportunity for a helicopter company to actually setup a business in the area.