PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 23:21
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One question: A crewmember from Exeter told me about one of their Sea Darts launched on 30th may, flying over HMS Avenger. Is it true?

Edmund I found these links in military photos forum:
http://db.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/ram/falklands2.ram

http://db.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/f...ogramme2.shtml

It´s the interview to Morgan and Sánchez.

I have no doubt about your words but if you listen Sánchez is in some way contradictory. I think he didn´t see all the action or perhaps was flying closer to Bolzán than it seems. The only way to see shots from Morgan would be if he would have been flying forward to Bolzán and some past shots would explode close to him after passing Bolzán plane. It would explain the fire watched by him. He doesn´t talk about any kind of advertisment to his fellows so probably didn´t saw the launchings of Sidewinders against them. From where Morgan affirm in his book that Sánchez had him in his way and could fire? FAA webpage says in Bolzán´s obituary that Sánchez saw two Sea Harriers coming from upper and right position. Does it mean that was ahead and on the left when you shoted down Bolzán? Or behind (what would explain he to be the only to not attack) on the left. In this case perhaps he could take you on sight. It would explain you didn´t watch him.

Also FAA webpage says that his plane was damaged by small arms (probably when they aproached to the target flying over land in Fitzroy area). It´s possible these are the shots he talks about. According to Morgan three planes dropped their bombs against the craft. The fourth (Sánchez) aborted and didn´t attack.

Great photo of the infortunate Bolzan´s Skyhawk.

Thanks again

According to FAA webpage:
Torno took off from San Julian at 15:45 and landed at 18:25. So probably overflew the islands around 17:05.
Fortin took off from San Julián at 16:00 and landed at 18:40. They intercepted the CAP that pursuited Torno 3. So they probably were over Falklands at 17:10.
Buitre took off from Río Gallegos at 15:50 and arrived at 17:40 (so flying the island around 16:45)
Dardo took off from Río Gallegos at 15:45 (so over Falklands at 16:40)
Rubio took off from Río Grande at 15:54 (so over Falklands at 16:54)
The witness of this last combat were the Pucara pilots Cap Grünert, Cap Vila and 1st Lt Fasani.

Some sources also places a solitary Dagger from San Julián (Fierro) over the islands around 17:00, but Núńez Padín ( a reputed argentinean air historician places this flight in the morming tooking off from San Julián at 12:30)

Regards

Last edited by jualbo; 2nd Jan 2009 at 23:32.