PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fast Online NOTAMs' - Plog, Weather and NOTAMs in one PDF and 'TRA's Quick and Easy.
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 22:55
hammerman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSC is down forever, the chap running it is fed up with the amount of manual work required to keep the Notams going.

Aviation Forums for pilots - from FLYER Magazine

I have shut it down because of constraints on my time. I have racks full of servers and people to administer them, so it's not really anything to do with those resources.

I'm also fed up with jumping through hoops with regard to getting NOTAM data. The current source I use is somewhat unreliable, and every time the feed fails it has to be investigated, otherwise I get loads of emails saying "your notam data is out of date". There is NO good reason why the data can't be made available in a more reliable form, but for politics.

I am happy to give away the source code for the site and all associated stuff. However, it's not something that you can just drop on a server and forget about really. In addition to a suitable server you'd need knowledge of MySQL (for admin tasks that aren't covered elsewhere), Java and the JSDK for the dynamic parts of the site, including configuration of a servlet container, though in truth the code behind the site is rock solid and hasn't changed in a long time, so this is more a question of configuration than coding and Ruby for the scripts which download and parse the (crappy) notam data. These have to be changed any time the source of the Notam data change their website.
Unquote