PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Crash Sites
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 22:26
jualbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navaleye. On 1 may there were two trio of Canberras with a time separation about 25 minutes. The first one encircled HMS Brilliant and HMS Yarmouth. They say they were fired two missiles. I have reports from that ships to have fired rocket chaff missiles (probably fearing an Exocet raid) or perhaps ASW rocket or mortar (they were hunting for ARA San Luis). The first trio aborted. One of the planes was damaged while turning (I think he skirmished the water while turned to avoid the suposed threat cause, according to some sources, the wing was deflected but not burned or holed by shrapnel). I have no account from both ships of having fired.
They saw the islands and one ship, confusing her position with the northern entrance of Falkland sound. In the scape they saw two air objects in the horizon believed helicopters or Harriers and a ship they confused with a carrier. I think probably the other frigate (one Brilliant, the other Yarmouth and the air objects Sea Kings that were supporting the ASW mission)

The second trio was intercepted by Sea Harrier (Curtiss-Broadwater) 25 minutes later when closing to Invincible (24 miles). But there is no testimony of pilots about having watched her. I think you are probably right in the position in the map of this flight that also took off from Trellew. This flight probably was flying a northern route by a navigational error cause its intended target was the same than the first trio (british landing crafts in Berkeley sound) that clearly saw the islands and the ASW group.

One question: On 23 may attacks against Antelope, the two bombs that hit her, were Mk-17 1000 lb or one of them was Mk-82 Snakeeye 500 lb and the other a Mk-17? In that case, which was the one that hit the starboard aft section, the first dropped or the bomb that hit in second place? Which type was it?

Thanks