PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a good pilot a better pilot?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 22:02
JohnRayner

Location: Just a bit lower than the point where the falling angel meets the rising ape
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think there's a reason why them medical profession is adopting standards and processes used in the aviation industry and not the other way round...

As for professional re-validation, docs aren't expected to demonstrate that they're safe and competent to do their job to an external agency every 6 months. There's currently an immense amount of wrangling of precisely how, when, and to whom docs should demonstrate their fitness to practice. To be fair, part of the problem also seems to be that docs are so rammed with work that no-one knows who's going to carry the can on re-validation days!

The videotaping of consultations- I suspect you mean for the training purposes of juniors hoping to become fully qualified GP's. I don't think (although I could be wrong) that trained up GP's submit themselves to the same thing. I KNOW that hospital docs in the UK don't!

Openeness in medicine is a fairly new concept that's still bedding in. After all, we've all seen what happens to NHS "whistle-blowers" professionally, even if they turn out to be right! Even as recently as 10 years ago, medicine was as much a closed shop as, oh, the legal profession?

I remember a few years (5 or 6) ago when working in Coventry, it was decided that junior docs should not be allowed to drive home after an on-call, as they would be a danger on the roads... So, 1 hour ago, life or death decision. Now, not fit to drive... Really!?

It's only been recently that the wisdom of having more senior (and therfore better trained) docs around more often to possibly reduce errors has been realised. Before that, during the night, all bets were off.

The aviation equivalent to the way medicine has been practised up until relatively recently would be to man aircraft with 2 low hours FO's with a captain at the end of the radio, making them do back to back sectors until their eyes were crossed, and then getting upset with them for any errors they made.

I think if someone took overwork, under-rest and high stress in medicine, and related it to quality of work (or lack of) as far back in the day as the aviation industry seems to have made the connection, there'd have been a lot less high profile medical disasters in recent years.

Rant over. Terribly sorry for thread creep. Mods please forgive me! But to the implied statement "Doctors are more professional than pilots" I just had to respond...