PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory helmets/flight suits: merged threads
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 18:43
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having worn a flight suit & helmet on almost every flight of my last 4500helicopter hours, on those occasions when I didn't, I always felt a little naked!

That said, flying around the Gulf of Oman, with RH of 98% and OAT of 46 C, tended to cause more than a little perspiration - & it wouldn't have made any difference if I'd been wearing a thong & lightweight headset, I'd just have felt even more uncomfortable in the event of an emergency!

I've not had any sort of incident involving fire, either in the air or driving a car - but my personal risk assessment says the result in one is likely to be more drastic than the other, especially given the differences in crash protection afforded by the two different vehicles. I'll therefore continue to "dress to survive", while flying, to give my self the best chance if the toast does fall butter side down!

It doesn't happen often, but the accident reports can make grimmer reading when such precautions have not been taken.