PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2010 deadline for expat pilots to leave INDIA
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 16:58
TopTup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
..and the bar gets lower

You (the DGCA) want to replace tried, proven and (very) experinced Cmdrs and FOs with national pilots without so much as a minute amount of 'expereince" that the foreigners bring to the table. One of the first rules of any business is to buy your brains when needed.

As I understand it AI are recruiting FOs with 250 hrs TT for the RH seat of a 777.

"When I was a boy" I was still flying a ratty old pice of cr@p scaring the sh!t out of myself and learning from my mistakes in order to gain the EXPERIENCE needed to apply for a job on a bigger aircraft & to bring to the table experience that I have now, many, many years on. Have seen Cmdrs and FOs who cannot fly an aircraft (777) straight and level on downwind with AP off and FD off, let alone even plan a 3:1 approach. Reason? NO EXPERIENCE & a self indulged belief (airline culture) that this job / position is your RIGHT beyond all safety and common sense reasons. Bugger the souls you may be responsible for behind you! All I write is borne from 1st hand experience and hence why I chose to leave - personal choice. (Among many other professional reasons: smoking in the cockpit, cockpit door left unlocked, a culture of not upholding basic SOPs....)

So, you lower the bar, sacrifice safety for the will of a passport and nationality. When the national pilot (Capts & FO's) match or beat the experience of the foreigners, sure take them IMMEDIATLEY. In the mean time you are left with a NECESSAY evil I suppose.

In other countries it is a privelidge to fly a jet. In India it is seen as your right. Let's hope for no more circling approaches and stalling the aircraft on the base turn, eh? (Aviation 101) Although I think the outlook is grim.

SkyDancer: In response to your post.....

The national Cmdrs at AI come to the 777 with ZERO hours experience on type (ie staright off the A310 or 747) just as is the process at many other airlines. A Capt is not a Capt by means of aircraft manipulation but from "Command Decision Making", aircraft / crew management and demonstrated [all-round] knowledge. Anyway, the FO should be just as good as the Capt at flying the beast.

The foreign FO's at AI have a MINIMUM of 2500 hrs TT. Most have over 4000, and some with over 10,000 (I think 1 I met with approx 16000?). All have an ATPL / ATP with over 500 hrs COMMAND of a multi engine aircraft. All have many years of airline experience behind them, as well as held positions as a TRI/TRE. Some with tertiary qualifications. They paid for the endorsement as that is how it is in aviation in their respective countries, very much to my deep regret for them. They EARNT the job and didn't DEMAND it be GIVEN to them. Jet vs turboprop? HA! A 777 (for example) is a damn sight easier to fly and land than a turboprop around the 5700 kg mark that probably doesn't have an autopilot..... More to undertsand, apprecaiate and different methodology in flying a 777 but aerodynamics are quite tried, tested and still apply.

Respect others' credentials as you demand yours to be respected.

Last edited by TopTup; 2nd Jan 2009 at 20:07.