PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft down in Staffordshire
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 13:49
lastgasp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Express and Star newspaper:A light aircraft crashed near Rugeley today and burst into a ball of flames with at least one person feared dead. The plane came down and exploded just before 11.50am near the villages of Colwich and Little Haywood.The emergency services say they do not yet know if anyone has been killed.But an eyewitness told the Express & Star he feared there would be no survivors from the wreckage. Michael Wareham, of Wolseley Close, Colwich, saw the drama unfold just a few hundred yards from his home and called 999.The former paratrooper said he fears that no-one will leave the wreckage alive after seeing the plane plummet to the ground. He said: “I saw it flying over and I went into the back garden and saw the aircraft – I thought: ‘This is a bit low.“I thought it’s not going to pull out of there.’ and then it vanished from sight and I heard this hard thump and saw a huge plume of black smoke coming up from the ground.”Mr Wareham said he couldn’t understand why the plane had crashed as the engine sounded as if it was working normally. He said: “The engine actually increased in speed as it came down, which planes do when you put them into a dive. “There was no damage I could see and no indication it was actually going to come down at all until it did.” This article posted on January 2, 2009 at 12:51 pm. Now reporting two dead. RIP