PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 13:25
B Sousa
Gatvol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some risks associated with living in remote areas, difficult access to specialized medical facilities being one of them. It is your choice whether to accept that risk or not, and your responsibility to deal with the consequences of that choice. It is not somebody else's responsibility to risk their life as a consequence of your choice.
There is certainly a mouthful of truth in that one and it applies in many places of this "modern" civilization today.

What choice do you propose the people of Saba (or other small island nations) really have in living there? The ONLY reason I am not living there is because I received an Antillean government scholarship for university as some of my class mates did. Not everyone qualifies for them and so not everyone has a "choice" or opportunity. Do you think my parents had the money to pay for university, cost of living, and plane tickets to get me there???
Island Girl, this sounds more like someone trying to lay a guilt trip on the world for the economic woes of those on Saba. That dog wont hunt. I believe we all understand that the poor are the first to realize they will get less from the "loving" world.
Its a trade off. Saba has things that the rest of us dont have, in return they give up some of the basics we take for granted. Quite frankly I wish I lived on Saba, just so I would not have to watch the daily news.

In this particular case, someone else said it best.
All the banter is pretty much useless...sad fact is people lost their lives in this accident.
I dont know but if I were living in conditions such as those in this scenario, I might have tried to help also. Its a very frustrating topic and one that cannot be answered by anything easy. If you have little or nothing sometimes you try to do the best you have with what you have. Maybe we should leave the criticism to those who have to endure under the lifestyle as mentioned and keep our noses out of it.