PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather altimetry & seasonal changes to minimum altitudes
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 12:36
Spitoon

I've got to go out for a while but this topic has piqued my interest.

gif, I have specifically cited the UK in my responses because I don't know what happens elsewhere.

And I'm sticking to the UK - in years gone by, the CAA designed all IAPs and airspace etc. I'm not sure of the current situation but a few years ago they sought to pass responsibility for the design work to 'industry' and to simply perform an approval role. This required, amongst other things, some UK policy to be made public - one example where, I presume, temperature corrections would apply is ATC Surveillance Minimum Altitude Charts (RVAs in old money).

The UK CAA published CAP777 on the topic. I haven't had time to look through it in any detail but it doesn't seem to mention anything about temperature corrections. I does mention ICAO references, but again after a quick look, doesn't seem to say that unless otherwise specified in the document, the ICAO PANS apply.

A very quick search through the Canadian AIP didn't find anything to explain about different charts for different temperatures as mentioned by Scooby - which lends weight to the idea that it should be transparent to the pilot.

Don't know whether this helps at all.

GTG now (as kids say!)