PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 x-wind take-off
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 11:38
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RB - note what I said
to sense minute changes in acceleration and attitude
and I then later used 'sense'. You are just WRONG! Go on - make it a New Year's resolution...........

Incidentally
Too late- it is already happening. So you are jockeying with aileron while you are desperately trying to jockey with the rudder to keep centreline?
- all I can say is you fly your way, if you must, and I fly mine. It has stood me in good stead with the many skills I have needed in my career for the various roles I have undertaken. You really must be absolutely exhausted after a x-wind take-off - and the co-pilot a bag of nerves? I guess you'd need a quick nap en-route to recover?

I do think Chesty summed it up well
but simply feeling and reacting to movement of the aircraft or merely - flying an aeroplane. If the wing begins to lift during the take off simply use enough aileron to stop it and keep the wings level. Just like you do when you're airborne.
Incidentally, Chesty, your dad was not completely right as quoted - many, many a/c have a positive angle of incidence on the wing during the ground roll and so produce both lift and vortices during the roll, they only become significant when the a/c rotates and the lift starts in earnest and the vortex is now not constrained by the ground. Indeed, some a/c (for reasons of geometry) have such a 'rigging angle' that they actually require no pitch change at 'rotate' to leave the ground. What he probably meant was that no wing is REQUIRED to produce lift on the ground until the moment of unstick.