PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Britannia details
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 11:26
828a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malayan Airways Memories;

Postfade; Selamat Pagi kawan ( Greetings Friend )

Thanks for the great memories. Those three DC-3 s on the apron in front of the Malayan Airways main hangar turn back the clock for me. Flew all of them for many years and enjoyed every minute of it. There was a total of twelve so the other nine must have been out on the routes in Malaya or British North Borneo or in the hangar. The Britannia 102 on lease from BOAC only flew between Singapore-Hongkong-Kuala Lumpur and Djakarta ( note my spelling of Djakarta, it's an age giveaway ! ) All daylight flying, no time changes, happy flight deck, lovely cabin crew and no brain draining security. Toss in a nice aeroplane that was easy to fly and carried plenty of fuel and one can't but help make special memories. Malayan Airways operated the Britannia only to compete with Cathay Pacific's newly acquired Convair 880-22m which I also remember very well indeed.
Your mention of the Singapore Flying club reminded me of an incident I was involved in that confirmed what a superb aircraft the Britannia was. One of their Chipmunks botched a landing on the grass strip that was positioned between Rw02 and the main taxiway just as we were on the taxiway alongside where it happened. ( we were at max take off weight bound for Hongkong ). The resultant Chipmunk recovery and overshoot could very well have caused a collision and it all happened just as the before take off checklist was being read. The cursing and swearing we directed at the Chipmunk pilot caused the setting of the flaps for take off to be missed and as a result we took off with the flaps up when they should have been extended. There was much silence and personal guilt on the flight deck when we realised what had happened but the 102 didn't seem to mind. Once again thanks for the memories or as you would know-----terima kasih. Best
828a.

brakedwell;
I've had a look at the Britannia info. Thanks very much. I's a shame someone did not have the sense to keep at least one fully intact. I wonder how many of todays aviation types read your pen name and interpret it as " he braked well " The true meaning of course is known only to those who moved the lever. Best.
828a.