PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Compulsory helmets/flight suits: merged threads
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 10:33
KNIEVEL77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compulsory helmets and flight suits????

Sorry to bring this subject up yet again but having notified my Insurers about my PPL(H) training, I have just received a letter back from them stating that during my training and for my Personal Accident Insurance Cover to stay valid, they require me to be wearing flame retardant clothing at all times and a helmet when flying solo.

Having just read the recent post on here and looked at the video of the crash scene of the R44 in America that was completely destroyed (with one fatality due to burns) I suppose it makes sense.

My main question is that in the Robinson R22 Pilot's Operating Handbook, their Safety Notice SN-40 states "It is strongly recommended that a fire-retardant Nomex flight suit and helmet to be worn by all occupants". So why is this not adhered to more than it is?
Now I realise that the opinion is usually split on wearing such safety equipment and some may even chuckle seeing an R22 pilot dressed so but surely it makes sense, so I was just wondering how come the relevant Aviation bodies have not yet made it compulsary given how many lives it could save. After all, it's illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet!

I shall probably get laughed at turning up at my flying school in flame retardant clothing but if it is the only way to satisfy my insurance company then so be it, you never know, it might be me who has the last laugh!

Last edited by KNIEVEL77; 2nd Jan 2009 at 20:04.