PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last 727 flght for AAE
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 10:29
rob_ginger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Good Old Days

As an old SLF I didn't really like the 727 - very nosiy down the back where I used to travel.

I vividly remember the contrast between the 727 and the 767. I was living in Sydney & doing some work in Brisbane when Ansett introduced the 767 (must have the mid-80's ?). Returned from Brisbane to Sydney in a chock-a-block 727, and in the hot weather we really struggled on the climb out. Two weeks later we were on a brand new 767, with roughly the same number of passengers, so half empty. Geez - take off felt like being in the Space Shuttle ! I still remember looking down after taking off out over the bay and climbing back over the city. It looked like we were already half way to cruising altitude. What a buzz !

I'm so old that I can remember flying in a BOAC Britannia, and the domestic Viscounts and Electras. But my favorite aircraft (as SLF) has to be the 747. A great moment for me was getting to sit in the cockpit jump seat for a dusk landing into Sydney in a 747 - none of that now thanks to 9-11 You chaps up the front get a great view !