PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 x-wind take-off
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 09:06
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have, I think, been fortunate all my flying career in being able to sense minute changes in acceleration and attitude (which has always made the artificial simulator 'motion' a problem for me) and as such have always been in the 'use aileron as and when needed' group (ie when I 'sense' the wing wanting to lift) during a x-wind takeoff in all the a/c I have flown.
Even you with your 9000 posts can't 'sense' the wing wanting to lift! It already is lifting when your 'ever alert' razor senses have sensed it! That is why you should already be holding it down. But the point is, you are not holding it down- you are merely preventing it lifting by prebalancing the weight on the wheels. Get the point- you are NOT pressing the upwind wheel down. The standard former procedure beats the current advice from Boeing, probably because Boeing have totally 'dumbed down' their crosswind take-off advice because pilots who don't understand will possibly overdo it. Do it correctly and smoothly and it works like a dream....like it used to be done as normal procedure. Quite simple- 1 division per 5 kts across, hold it on steady. It used to work as standard procedure. Still does amazingly!

It's a shame that as I repeatedly stressed (IMO), this was merely a discussion item and an alternative suggestion to current advice. It was the old advice that works better for most people without superhuman, highly-honed and incredibly alert senses of.....something, like the previous former pilot. Fortunately, most of us normal plodders don't have such amazing senses- we do it on skills we pick up over the years, often from conversing with others who've been there and done it many times.

It was depressing to see the abuse it earned from yet another immature anti-podean (why do they talk to each other like that?) with a loud, expletive laden keyboard, like they all seem to have down there! Why was the Oz section closed a while ago? I have removed the postings. Better to keep it a secret (like the Boeing 'push')!

Last edited by Rainboe; 2nd Jan 2009 at 09:38.